Thales presents its new integrated mast I-Mast 500 at EURONAVAL 2014

In a tentative to combine its different existing products, Thales proposes its new integrated mast I-MAST 500. I-Mast 500 integrates a I-Mast 400, already installed on Dutch OPV Holland class, and an APAR Active Phased Array Radar. Thales I-Mast 500 offers all the necessary capacities needed by modern ships.

a
EURONAVAL 2014 Show Daily - Thales I-Mast 500

In a tentative to combine its different existing products, Thales proposes its new integrated mast I-MAST 500. I-Mast 500 integrates a I-Mast 400, already installed on Dutch OPV Holland class, and an APAR Active Phased Array Radar. Thales I-Mast 500 offers all the necessary capacities needed by modern ships.

Thales I-Mast 500 combines a I-Mast 400 (the bottom and upper part) and a APAR Radar (middle part)

With the growing number of electronic systems that must be installed on ships today (Radar, communication, ISR, guidance systems, etc...) arises the problem of electronic interferences. Thales find a solution at this problem by gathering the different systems in an unique integrated mast. The two gathered main systems are the I-Mast 400 and the APAR radar.

The I-Mast 400 was already an integrated naval sensor & communications suite packed into an advanced mast structure. By resolving the electromagnetic conflicts and line-of-sight obstructions inherent in traditional topside arrangements, it provides remarkable advantages in terms of operational performance and shipbuilding risk. Being built and tested in parallel with the construction of the ship, the IM400 solution reduces risk and time for the entire ship-building program.

APAR is the world’s first naval AESA radar providing at hemispheric coverage out to 150 km. This system is capable of searching, tracking and supporting many ESSM and SM-2 engagements simultaneously, using the ICWI guidance mode. Any type of AAW engagement, including super-sonic high-divers, super-sonic sea skimmers and stealth targets is supported. APAR has proven its system performance in more than 40 live firings. APAR is already installed on Dutch De Zeven Provinciën, German F124 Sachsen and Danish Ivar Huitfeldt class frigates.

The new I-Mast 500 combines so:
- an AESA 3D search radar,
- a non-rotating IFF system,
- an Radar ESM,
- a communication system (V/UHF, AIS, Tactical Datalink, Link 16, GSM/UMTS, Iridium, SATCOM),
- an X-band Active Electronic Scanning Array

I-Mast 500 also includes a Gatekeeper optronic sensor that provides the user with a 360° panoramic view for surveillance and awareness around the ship using staring IR and colour TV cameras, thereby relieving the need to have crew on deck. Automatic tracking reduces the operator workload and can be used to integrate with other shipboard systems.

The I-Mast 500 is larger (10x10 m) than the I-Mast 400 (8x8 m) and 30 m high. I-Mast 500 is really esay to integrated to ships. It only needs 2 days of work. Only bolts are required to assemble the mast to the ship and connexions must be make only for data, power and cooling systems.

Thales SMART-L EWC radar can be linked with I-Mast 500

I-Mast 500 can be linked with a SMART-L EWC radar for ballistic missile defence. SMART-L EWC is a naval, 3-dimensional long-range air surveillance radar operating in the D-band. The system performs long-range detection of conventional air targets and medium range detection of small “stealth” type air targets such as the newest generation of missiles and supports target identification by interfacing with an IFF system.