This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

Bicentennial celebration for Old World War II naval ship LST-325 docked Ohio River


A memorial ship that honours former LST military vessels, the LST-325, took place at the bicentennial celebration on 13th to 16th September. The LST-325, a World War II-era Navy ship, is now docked on the banks of the Ohio River, Aurora Riverfront Ferry Landing.


Old World War II naval ship now docked on banks of Ohio River 925 001 The LST-325, a World War II-era Navy ship (Picture source: US Naval History and Heritage Command)


The LST-325 ship has been opened for public tours at various points throughout its stay. In addition to tours, the event has included a large display of military equipment on land at Lesko Park, a special flyover of a B-25 Bomber, veterans' dedication at 1:30 p.m. on Sunday, BB Riverboats cruises aboard the Belle of Cincinnati, a fireworks display and more.

The USS LST-325 (or landing ship tank) has been restored to its World War II configuration. LST-325 was laid down on August 10, 1942, at the Philadelphia Navy Yard and launched on October 27, 1942. It was commissioned on February 1, 1943, with Lieutenant Ira Ehrensall in command. In 1944, the LST (was a part of Force B, the back-up force for troops going ashore at Omaha Beach in Normandy and it later made many trips between England and France ferrying troops, equipment, ammunition and supplies during 1944 and 1945. It served in World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, in arctic operations, and in the 1950s moved on to be of service in the Greek Navy.

The USS LST-325 is the last remaining fully-functioning LST in the country. Its complement included thirteen officers and 104 enlisted personnel. In addition to her vehicle-carrying capability, had accommodations for sixteen officers and 147 enlisted personnel. LST-325 was equipped with two twin 40mm gun mounts with Mk. 51 fire control directors, four single 40mm gun mounts, and twelve 20mm gun mounts. A large vessel once capable of carrying more than 20 Sherman tanks, the LST-325 is 50-feet wide, over a football field long, and weighs approximately 3,800 tons.